- The hidden story of the Singapore Mutiny Francis Sempa, ARB
- The rise and fall of Rhodesia Xan Smiley, Literary Review
- Illusions of “American” empire Santiago Ramos, Commonweal
- China’s quiet play for Latin America Margaret Myers, Noema
- One positive to come out of Zimbabwe’s chaos Peter Carty, Spectator
- Proxy wars and blowback Irfan Khawaja, Policy of Truth
- The fate of the Kurds Janet Klein, Origins
- Before the Kochs, there were the… Darren Dochuk, Politico
Gold as Implicit Money
Economics encompasses two realities, the explicit and the implicit. The explicit is visible, obvious, recorded, and quoted. Explicit expenses are paid to others and recorded by accountants. The explicit is also called “nominal,” since that is what is named. For example, nominal interest is what a bank says it is paying, and the money it pays to depositors.
But there is also an implicit realm that is also real. Indeed, the implicit is more real than the explicit. What is explicit is often merely the superficial appearance. But things are often not what they appear to be. The reality beneath is implicit, not visible, not quoted, and not recorded, yet it is the true reality. Economists often use the adjective “economic” to designate the real thing in contrast to the explicit number or the accounting data.
An enterprise has explicit and implicit expenses. The explicit expenses are recorded by bookkeepers and accountants. The implicit expenses are non-recorded opportunity costs, such as what the owner of a business would have earned elsewhere, or what the assets of the firm would yield if sold and converted to bonds. The real cost of oil is not what the buyer pays but also includes the implicit costs of pollution damage not paid for by the customer.
Real interest is the nominal interest minus the inflation rate. Economic profit is accounting profit minus implicit expenses. Real GDP is nominal GDP (in current dollars) adjusted for inflation. Economists deflate prices and include implicit costs to get at the implicit reality. Continue reading