- It’s time for socialists to re-embrace freedom Jodi Dean, Los Angeles Review of Books
- Hagia Sophia and the politics of heritage Elif Kalaycioglu, Duck of Minerva
- The nation-state versus the civilization-state Bruno Maçães, Noema
- Yo-Yo Ma and the acid-free box Shepard Barbash, City Journal
2 thoughts on “Nightcap”
“It’s time for socialists to re-embrace freedom”: If socialism can cohabit with freedom, why does it always have to be imposed by governments?
That’s the same question I ask them, Jack! Here are the answers I usually get in reply:
1. That’s not True Socialism.
2. American imperialism violently crushed _____(fill in the blank with a country) experiment with socialism.
3. American imperialism forced _____(fill in the blank with a country) to ration its goods and services.
4. The timing wasn’t right. The society in question was full of peasants rather than industrial workers.
5. The timing wasn’t right. The society in question was surrounded by American lackeys.
6. The timing wasn’t right. Democracy had not yet taken root in the society in question.