What I’m going to say here is far from original, but I believe it is worth reminding from time to time. Yes, there is a lot of over-simplification here, but bear with me! This is the difference between conservatives, liberals, and libertarians (or at least this libertarian who writes):
- Liberal: Guns are dangerous! People should not have guns!
- Conservative: From my cold dead hands!
- Libertarians: I personally don’t like guns and I wouldn’t like to have one. But I believe that people who so desire should have the right to own guns.
- Liberal: Marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol and should be legalized!
- Conservative: Marijuana is a gateway into heavier drugs and should be prohibited!
- Libertarian: Although I personally never did drugs and have no desire to do so, nor have deep knowledge of how particular drugs are heavier than legalized substances or not, I believe that people who want to do drugs should not be prohibited from doing so.
- Liberal: We have to send more foreign aid. It is our moral responsibility! And who are we to judge which nations are democratic or not?
- Conservative: The world is a dangerous place and it is our responsibility to police it!
- Libertarian: Although I can see that the World is a dangerous place and I feel personally obligated to do something to help those in need, I don’t believe it is the role of the government to interfere in other nations.
- Liberal: We have to protect the poor!
- Conservative: Capitalism is God’s way of deciding who is poor and who is smart!
- Libertarian: I feel for the poor, and I believe we should do something to help. I believe that some governmental policies predictably hurt the poor and therefore should be changed. However, I believe that helping the poor should be mainly done by individuals and independent organizations, not by the government.
Crime in general:
- Liberal: He is a victim of society!
- Conservative: The chair!!!
- Libertarian: External circumstances can explain and even attenuate certain crimes, but never justify it. On the other hand, if we are cruel towards criminals, we are becoming just like them. Also, throwing people in jail is very clearly an awful and simplistic way of dealing with crime and should think of other ways of punishment, always having reconciliation as an ideal.
- Liberal: We need more government oversight!
- Conservative: The market will solve everything!
- Liberal: Open the border!
- Conservative: Build a wall!
- Libertarian: Completely opening the borders is abandoning any notion of nation-state. Nevertheless, we should be welcoming, though thoughtful, about immigration.
- Liberal: Your kids are mine!
- Conservative: We need to bring prayer back to public schools!
- Libertarian: Education is fundamentally religious and reflects the values we aim to have. Maybe the state can have a very limited role in it, but the main responsibility belongs to the parents, who likely will instill their values on the children.
Politics in general:
- Liberal: My party will solve everything!
- Conservative: My party will solve everything!
- Libertarian: There are no perfect solutions, especially not through politics. Do you want to change the World? Start by cleaning your room.